Lithium-ion batteries consist of a long list of real-world applications. They find usage in the following –
- Life-saving medical contraptions,
- Luxurious yachts,
- As a recreational vehicle power
- For lightweight marine performances
- And even as an emergency power backup or an interruptible power supply (UPS)
What’s More… You can even find rechargeable lithium batteries which are economical, safe and robust. That’s what makes them a lasting solution for dependable tasks.
(However, There Are Several Other Uses Of Lithium-Ion Batteries, Which Will Include Below. SO CONTINUE READING…)
DIGGING DEEPER –Understanding Lithium-ion Batteries & Its Wide Range of Crucial Applications…
LET’S START… With A Proper Understanding Lithium-Ion Batteries & What Lies Inside Them?
Right from the smallest lithium-ion battery which helps power your smart devices to large-sized & sophisticated ones which help run electric cars and other high-end contraptions- one aspect ever remains constant.
They will consist of 4 main components.
- And separator
In such lithium-ion batteries- its metal lithium forms the cathode. This denotes the lithium chemical reactions taking place on contact with the electrolyte. That said, a crucial thing to know here is that the lithium itself is one unstable element whenever they are used within the battery’s apparatus. It specifically contains lithium oxide, which is a combination of oxygen and lithium, and it used as its cathode for fulfilling all kinds of practical tasks and purposes. This is mainly due to lithium oxide being more stable in comparison to elemental lithium.
Furthermore, the cathode is a crucial characteristic of such lithium-ion batteries. In fact, it is the cathode’s active material coating (containing lithium ions) which helps determine the voltage and overall capacity of the battery.
It’s pretty simple! The more ions present, the more the battery capacity and the higher its potential difference between anode and cathode. And all that results in higher voltage capability. Also, lithium-ion batteries make use of a separator to separate its cathode from its anode as contrary-wise, there won’t be any current, and when that happens, the entire system’s safety can be potentially compromised.
MOVING OVER… To Its Crucial Applications
Now that you have a basic idea of lithium-ion batteries and what includes in them, let’s discuss its other crucial applications for different sectors.
- For Storing Solar Power
The dependency of solar power is rapidly increasing. This includes even in desert areas or barren lands when at times the sun doesn’t shine or when the existing solar power generating contraption requires repairing.
To avoid such inconveniences, lithium-ion batteries prove to be an appreciative life-line. They prove to be the perfect prompt solution for solar panels, mainly due to the way they charge and retain its power for a long time.
These solar panels are known to generate low resistant charging. And that is what lithium batteries need. And because they charge rather quickly, it allows respective users to fully maximize the solar power storage potential from every sunny day.
- For Alarm Systems or Surveillance Units in Remote Places
For those who need to monitor remote worksites properly, temporary storage, or a perimeter having a fleet of vehicles- properly functioning alarm systems and surveillance units are very crucial.
Fortunately for you, these security units can easily be powered by with the help of lithium-ion batteries. Due to its long-lasting life, contact size, and no loss of power through self-discharge when the security systems are inactive, these lithium-ion batteries are the perfect solution for such remote locations.
They self-discharge 10 times lower in comparison to lead-acid batteries; thus making them appropriate for scenarios when they are not continually put to use.
- For Powering Up Various Mobility Equipment
There is no doubt that modern-day technology has made the lives of so many people so much easier. This is more so for those with physical impairment or mobility restrictions.
Right from star lifts to electric-powered wheelchairs (and other similar in-kind); several individuals rely on such mobility contraptions to help them live their personal lives freely and independently.
To power them up, lithium-ion batteries are the perfect solution. They are accessible in vivid sized customization, offer quick charging; consist of a low self-discharge rate and even has a long life span.
- For Reducing Downtime through Portable Power Packs
Lightweight laptops/computers and smart devices have become an integral part of our daily lives- be it personal or work. However, due to its enormous usage, they often require recharging. Fortunately, there are rechargeable lithium batteries which help power up your lightweight smart devices and laptops easily.
Moreover, they are easily portable, impervious to movement and changes in temperature and easily maintains its power delivery at the time of use. By charging up your devices way quicker than what a lead-acid battery, these custom lithium batteries reduces downtime and allows your smart devices to function longer by serving as their effective power banks.
- Lithium Battery Applications in Grid-Level Energy Storage Units
One can never ignore the crucial role that grid-level energy storage systems play in our regular usage of electricity as well as in delivering electrical energy for vivid large-scale distribution applications.
Furthermore, since everyone’s electrical needs differ, properly storing the generated electrical power along with peak shaving and load levelling during peak power load is crucial. One can also not forget that such renewable energy sources are very susceptible to seasonal, geological and temporal conditions- with the potential of unpredictable output power fluctuations.
To reduce such fluctuations and smooth the irregular generation of output power from renewable energy resources, the grid system needs to function properly. And to help them do so, the application of lithium-ion batteries are repeatedly done.
MORE INFO… On Lithium Battery Applications in Different Sectors, Its Irrefutable Advantages & How You Can improve their performance & Life
(Other Lithium Battery Applications in Different Sectors…)
Lithium-ion Batteries to Meet Various Military Needs
- Emergency Power Supply For UAVs
- Gas Masks Fuzes
- Guidance Systems
- Targeting Devices
- Night Vision Goggles
- Targeting Devices
Lithium-ion Battery Application for Industrial Automation
- Process automation
- Wireless sensor networks
- Fault detectors
- Process logic control
- Industrial PCs
Lithium-ion Battery Application for IoT Solutions
- Smart observation devices
- Smart sensors
- Smart data loggers
- And smart measuring contraptions
Lithium-ion Battery Application in Medical Field
- Infusion pumps
- Surgical instruments
- Implantable devices
Lithium-ion Battery Application for Off-Shore Requirements
- Underwater positioning systems
- Seismic sensors
- Life jacket lights
- MWD/Oil drilling contraptions
Lithium-ion Battery Application for Meeting the Needs of High-End Consumers
- Set-top boxes
- Sophisticated diving computers
- Sports electronics
- And many useful appliances
(Now, Let’s Shift Our Attention to Its Irrefutable Advantages…)
- Lithium-ion batteries come with high energy density. And as they last way more in-between charges without jeopardizing its impressive current output, it serves the needs of several modern-day needs.
- Lithium-ion batteries also are advantageous when they are not in use. Often other batteries when kept idle self-discharge. But that won’t be the case here. In fact, these batteries have a low rate of self-discharge even when they are not used.
- Lithium-ion batteries require minimal maintenance. This is opposite to other nickel-cadmium batteries which need repeated maintenance and also come with high ownership costs.
- Lithium-ion batteries are the go-to-option for many industrial-based uses. And one clear reason for its immense favorability is they are available in all sizes and shapes. So, respective users can easily find a host of different options to choice from- depending on the specific requirements.
(AND…How You Can You Improve Their Performance & Life?)
Truth be told, the lifetime of lithium-ion batteries depend on –
- The battery chemistry
- The battery temperature
- The depth of discharge
- And the battery capacity termination level
And it is usually a combination of these few factors which determine its decreased or increased battery life.
If you seek information on how to improve the performance and life of lithium-ion batteries; THEN HERE ARE SUREFIRE TIPS…
- Look to use partial discharge cycles (or 20%/30% of battery capacity prior to recharging). Avoid full discharge cycles (down to 2.5v or 3v)
- Refrain from recharging the lithium-ion battery to 100%. By lessening the float voltage, the life cycle off the battery will increase and resultantly lessen its capacity. So, always pick a lower float voltage to do it.
- Pick the right charge termination method. Rather, keep the charge to 85-90%. This will go a long way in keeping the battery life long.
- Also look to avoid the high charge and discharge currents, as they contribute to reducing the battery’s life cycle. Such high currents always put excessive stress on such batteries.
- Lastly, refrain from very deep discharges as that will perpetually ruin the lithium-ion battery life and performance. Keep it below 2v or 2.5v, or else its internal metal plating will create a short circuit, thus making the battery very unstable and unsafe for further use.
22 thoughts on “Decoding Everything on Lithium-Ion Battery Applications”
Thanks for sharing, this is a fantastic blog post. Awesome. Mina Leif Tarah
My pleasure. Hope it is beneficial.
Wow! Finally I got a website from where I know how to really take useful information regarding my study and knowledge. Suzanne Talbot Valeda
My pleasure. Enjoy it.
If you would like to get much from this article then you have to apply these strategies to your won blog. Else Dolf Tarton
Thanks for your suggestion.
Sony really outdid themselves. legendary title ready for you. Angelina Bradly Elman
Great delivery. Solid arguments. Keep up the amazing spirit. Alexi Mace Mayberry
Thank you. I will keep writing. 🙂
Well I sincerely enjoyed studying it. This subject offered by you is very constructive for correct planning. Lynsey Rolando Warenne
My pleasure. Enjoy
As soon as I discovered this site I went on reddit to share some of the love with them. Nady Conant Maxentia
Thanks for your sharing.
I would like to show my affection for your kindness giving support to those people that should have help with this important question. Your real commitment to getting the solution all through had become definitely powerful and has in every case allowed individuals like me to get to their dreams. Your useful help and advice signifies so much to me and additionally to my fellow workers. Thanks a ton; from all of us. Alissa Burke Inna
True! Things that affect you negatively can also drive you to find yourself. This article was more about setting a positive mindset for the obstacles a child will face in life on the route to self realization. Guenevere Lazar Patience
I like what you guys are up too. Such clever work and reporting! Simona Cletis Hyacinth
Nice post. I learn something new and challenging on sites I stumbleupon on a daily basis. It will always be helpful to read through content from other writers and practice something from their websites. Denice Gail Tam
As the admin of this site is working, no uncertainty very shortly it will be well-known, due to its
My blog Madeline
What’s up everyone, it’s my first go to see at this web page, and post
is in fact fruitful designed for me, keep up posting these posts.
Also visit my homepage – Stewart
Hello everybody, here every one is sharing these know-how,
so it’s fastidious to read this web site, and I used to pay
a visit this blog everyday.
my website … Ava
Thanks. I will continue to write.
You could definitely see your skills within the article you write.
The world hopes for more passionate writers such as you who are not afraid to say how they believe.
All the time follow your heart.
Take a look at my blog post – Rosemarie